The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception is a Catholic cathedral in Memphis, Tennessee, United States. It is the seat of the Diocese of Memphis. Immaculate Conception parish was established by Bishop Thomas Sebastian Byrne of the Diocese of Nashville in 1921. It was the ninth parish in Memphis. Msgr. Dennis J. Murphy was the appointed as the parish’s first pastor. He built a three-story brick building that served as a combination church and school. It continues to serve the parish today as its school building. The Sisters of Mercy made up the school’s first faculty.
Construction of the present church building was begun in 1927. Richard J. Regan of Regan and Weller Architects was chosen to design the church. The lower crypt was initially built and used as the church for ten years before the upper church was built. The church was dedicated on July 31, 1938. The parish’s second pastor, Msgr. Francis D. Grady, had the decorative design work completed on the church’s interior. Msgr. Merlin F. Kearney had the high school buildings east of the church built in the 1950s and 1960s. Immaculate Conception High School for girls was also begun at this time.
Pope Paul VI established the Diocese of Memphis in January 6, 1971. Immaculate Conception was named as the new diocese’s cathedral. A major renovation of the cathedral was completed in 2001 and was dedicated by Bishop J. Terry Steib, SVD on December 8 of that year. In 2011 there were 800 families in the parish and 430 students in the school