Dusseldorf-Monchengladbach Airport(IATA: MGL, ICAO: EDLN) is an airport located 4.4 km (2.7 mi) northeast of Mönchengladbach and 15.2 km (9.4 mi) west of Dusseldorf.
The airport was founded in 1955 as a small airstrip for gliders. A hangar was built in 1957 and the next year a control tower and passenger terminal were constructed. The construction of the 1,200 m (3,937 ft) runway, that is still used today, began in 1970 and it was completed in 1973. From 1996 until 2002 the Dutch airline VLM operated direct services to London City Airport with Fokker 50 aeroplanes providing up to 24 weekly flights in each direction.
The British Army of the Rhine undertook an exercise in 1955, in accord with the then NATO-Strategy of quick reaction. They built a basic 'field-made' airfield on the grass-covered area for an air-landing-exercise on this site. On finishing this exercise, the British Army of the Rhine handed the area over to the Mayor of Mönchengladbach for use as an airfield.
Since the last airline, GLOBUS, had left, there were no more scheduled flights in Mönchengladbach. Today, the airport, which is co-owned by the company which also runs Düsseldorf International Airport (70 ) and the local utility company NVV AG (30%), is dominated by general aviation. Additionally, there are some chartered passenger flights.