The Burlington Bay James N. Allan Skyway, originally called the Burlington Bay Skyway, is a pair of high-level freeway bridges located in Hamilton and Burlington, Ontario, Canada. The Skyway, as it's locally known, is part of the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) highway linking Fort Erie with Toronto.
The first bridge (steel structure) was completed in 1958 and officially opened 30 October 1958, crossing the narrow bar separating Burlington Bay from Lake Ontario. This allows for Great Lakes ship traffic to flow underneath while four lanes of Golden Horseshoe road traffic may flow on top of it, neither disturbing the other. The bridge was designed by John Turner Bell.
The bridge had tolls when constructed, but these were removed 28 December 1973 after they were found to heavily impede traffic flow. Truck drivers in particular had refused to take the tolled bridge since not only were they charged the full toll but also it took them extra fuel to ascend the Skyway. With the lifting of tolls on the bridge, trucks were then banned from using Beach Boulevard.
When traffic volume became more than the bridge could accommodate in the early eighties, the bridge was twinned. When the new skyway (concrete structure) was opened on 11 October 1985, traffic was temporarily rerouted to it so that the old bridge could be extensively rehabilitated and this work was completed 22 August 1988. Afterwards, there were eight lanes of traffic crossing the harbour.