The National Field of Honour is a cemetery for Canadian and Allied veterans and their loved ones. It is located in Pointe-Claire
, Canada.It is operated by the Quebec Branch of the Last Post Fund.On June 8, 2007, the National Field of Honour was designated a National Historic Site of Canada.
The Gate of Remembrance
The entrance to the National Field of Honour is through the Gate of Remembrance, a medieval arch flanked by twin towers.The south tower houses an ecumenical chapel. The Gate was built in 1937 at a cost of $11,850, $5000 of which was donated by the city of Pointe-Claire, taking 13 weeks to complete.The Gate of Remembrance serves as a memorial to all those who made the supreme sacrifice for their country.
Currie Circle is dedicated to the memory of Sir Arthur Currie. Standing in the midst is the Cross of Remembrance. Sir Arthur commanded the Canadian Corps in WWI, and went on to serve as the Principal and Vice-Chancellor of McGill University
as well as President of the Last Post Fund from 1924-1932. He died in 1933 and is buried at Mount Royal
Arthur Hair Reception Center
This building is named after the founder of the Last Post Fund. It is now a reception and interpretive center where visitors can learn more about the Field and what the Veterans here have accomplished for their country. Names of all the soldiers are also kept here if you wish to find a relative.
An impressive 22-metre (73) foot metal flagstaff was a gift from a Canadian Steamship Line. It was erected by the Dominion Bridge Company in 1930.
The Commonwealth War Graves Memorial
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission was established in England by Royal Charter in 1917, eight years after the inception of the Last Post Fund. Formed by Major General Sir Fabian Ware, it marks and maintains the graves of Commonwealth Veterans who were killed in the two World Wars, and builds memorials to Veterans who have no known grave and keeps records and registers, including a record of the Civilian War Dead.
Air Force Memorial
This monument was donated in 2003 by Flight Lieutenant Howard Ripstein, a former director of the Québec Branch of the Last Post Fund. It is a propeller in memory of Veterans of the Canadian and Allied Air Forces.
This is a six-inch cannon commemorating the memory of Canadian and Allied soldiers who made the supreme sacrifice. It was donated by the Canadian Army in 1999.
An anchor dedicated to serve as a memorial for Canadian and Allied sailors. It was donated by the Canadian Forces' Longue Pointe Garrison in 1998.
De Salaberry Circle and Veterans' Memorial
This circle is named after Lieutenant Colonel Charles-Michel de Salaberry (1778–1829), the distinguished commander of the Canadian troops who halted the advance of invading American forces during the Battle of Crysler's Farm in the War of 1812.
This plot contains the oldest graves in the National Field of Honour, those of soldiers who fought in campaigns in Canada and around the world as long ago as the 18th century.
Jewish Section and Monument
This section of the National Field of Honour was consecrated in accordance with the tenets of the Jewish faith to permit Jewish veterans to be buried here. The monument is dedicated to the memory of Canadian and Allied Jewish Veterans who made the supreme sacrifice.
The Columbarium has been recently added to meet a growing need for our Veterans and their spouses.It is an impressive monument with benches for visitors to sit and relax.