Lewisporte is a town in central Newfoundland Island, Canada, with a population of 3,312. It is situated in a bay close to the mouth of the Exploits River. Lewisporte has an excellent port and related facilities that serve the many communities along Notre Dame Bay. Gander and its international airport are thirty minutes east on the Trans Canada Highway. Grand Falls-Windsor, a 45 minute drive west on the Trans Canada Highway, offers all the conveniences of a major centre. Twillingate is a 75 minute drive north of Lewisporte on Route 340.
Settlers first arrived in Lewisporte, previously named Burnt Bay and Marshville, in 1887 and engaged in the prosperous fishing, logging, and ship building industries. Lewisporte is named for Lewis Miller, an enterprising Scotsman who operated a logging company in central Newfoundland. Millertown, another community in this region is also named for him. The first European settlers were attracted to the area by the huge stands of birch, spruce and pine, which graced the shores.
During the war years, Lewisporte was an important base of operations for the Canadian Forces. Gander's strategic location as a ‘jumping off’ point for flights going to Europe brought a larger population to Lewisporte. Approximately three army sites were constructed in Lewisporte to protect the oil supply lines to Gander. By the end of the war there were 150 families and a population of 821. Rapid commercial and residential growth after the war has converted and swallowed nearly all evidence of military presence.