The Maison Saint-Gabriel Museum is located in Montreal
and is dedicated to preserving the history, heritage and artifacts of the settlers of New France in the mid 17th century. The museum consists of a small farm, which has been administered for more than 300 years by the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame of Montreal, founded by Marguerite Bourgeoys in Montreal in 1658.
The site was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 2007.
In the early 1960’s, after officially celebrating the 300th anniversary of Marguerite Bourgeoys’ ownership of land in Pointe-Saint-Charles, interest in turning the original house into a museum increased. However, in order to do so, another establishment needed to be constructed to house the sisters who would oversee the museum project. Therefore, the construction of the Jeanne-LeBer house began in 1963, and was completed in 1964.
The Maison Saint-Gabriel museum hosts over 15,000 artifacts.The 17th century house and the 18th century barn hold a collection that helps re-create rural living in New France, using objects dating from the 17th century onwards. There are many original objects, while others are reproductions based on drawings conserved from the 17th century.
The collection includes domestic objects (lighting and appliances), religious clothing and accessories, furniture from homes and churches, materials of correspondence (letters and books), religious and decorative art, and finally textile, construction, agricultural and trade tools.