Thompson is a city in northern Manitoba. As the "Hub of the North" it serves as the regional trade and service centre of northern Manitoba. Thompson is located 830 km (520 mi) north of the Canada – United States border, 739 km (459 mi) north of the provincial capital of Winnipeg, and is 396 km (246 mi) northeast of Flin Flon. It has a population of 13,256 residents, which also serves as a trade centre for an additional 36,000 - 65,000 Manitobans. As such, it has all of the services and amenities that would be expected in a much larger, urban centre.
The Thompson area was first inhabited by nomadic Paleo-Indian hunters 6000 B.C. Europeans conducted a federal geological survey in Thompson in 1896. The modern history of Thompson began in 1956 when on February 4, a major ore body was discovered by use of an airborne electromagnetometer following ten years of mining exploration in the region. The community was founded in 1957 following an agreement with the Government of Manitoba and Inco Limited.
Thompson is planned community and is named after Inco's chairman, John F. Thompson. The population has been estimated as high as 26,000 residents prior to the recession in the 1970s. Its most prominent local industry is the mining, milling, smelting and refining of nickel, with additional nickel concentrates coming from Voisey's Bay, Labrador.