Cabo Rojo is a municipality situated on the southwest coast of Puerto Rico and forms part of the San GermánCabo Rojo metropolitan area as well as the larger MayagüezSan GermánCabo Rojo Combined Statistical Area. Cabo Rojo derives its name from both the reddish color of its salt-flats and the reddish tint that characterizes the seaside cliffs along its southern coast. According to legend, the name was given by Christopher Columbus himself, although this is highly unlikely.
Its tourism industry has flourished with the development of hotels and marinas, but local and international environmentalists are concerned that this development will endanger Cabo Rojo's rich and beautiful beaches,sunsets and natural resources. Cabo Rojo is also well known for its fishing, particularly the Puerto Real fishing village, and its many seafood restaurants, most of which are found in the village of Joyuda.
Landmarks and places of interest
The famous Cabo Rojo lighthouse, Los Morrillos Lighthouse, known by locals as El Faro, was built in 1881 over limestone cliffs that rise 200 feet above sea level. This old lighthouse was automated and electrically charged in 1967 and is considered to have some, if not the, most spectacular ocean views in Puerto Rico's West Coast.
- Boqueron Beach
- Cofresí Cave
- El Combate Beach
- Joyuda Beach
- Joyuda Lagoon
- Market Plaza
- Club Deportivo del Oeste
- Nautical Club
- Punta Arenas Beach
- Punta Real Beach
- Isla de Ratones
- Buye Beach
- The Lighthouse (El Faro) Beach
- La Playuela in Los Morrillos (El Faro)
National protected areas
- The Cabo Rojo National Wildlife Refuge is home for a number of native bird species including the endangered Yellow-shouldered Blackbird also known as La Mariquita de Puerto Rico or Capitán.
- The Boqueron State Forest is one of seven state forests managed by the Puerto Rico Department of Natural and Environmental Resources.