New City is a hamlet in the Town of Clarkstown Rockland County, New York, United States, part of the New York Metropolitan Area. The hamlet is a suburb of New York City, located 18 miles north of the city at the closest point, Riverdale, The Bronx. Within Rockland County, it is located north of Bardonia; northeast of Nanuet; east of New Hempstead; south of Garnerville; west, straight across Lake Deforest, of Congers. New City is the county seat of Rockland County and the location of the Clarkstown Police Department, and Sheriff's office and corrections facility. It is also the most populous community in Rockland County. The ZIP Code of New City is 10956. New City is accessible from major Rockland arteries providing rapid access to Bergen County, New Jersey, as well as Westchester County, New York, Manhattan, and the Bronx in New York City.
Landmarks and places of interest
- Coe's Tavern – Formerly at northeast corner of Route 45 & New Hempstead Road – On two occasions Continental Army troops encamped here. Major Tallmadge and his dragoons halted here when taking Joshua Hett Smith and Major John André from West Point to Tappan in 1780.
- Cropsey Farm, 230 Little Tor Road – This is one of the five remaining vegetable and fruit farms in Rockland County. The farmhouse and its twin, China Echo farmhouse, were built of native red sandstone around 1769 by the Blauvelt brothers and is one of the oldest existing barns in the county.
- Dellwood Country Club (now Paramount Country Club) hosts The Kennedy Funding Invitational, an unofficial tennis tournament that raises money for breast cancer research. Notable players who have participated include Pete Sampras, John McEnroe, Dudi Sela, Sam Querrey, Michael Russell, Justin Gimelstob, Amer Delic, Bobby Reynolds, Kevin Kim, and Noam Okun. Dellwood was once the home to Paramount Pictures founder Adolph Zukor.
- Dutch Garden – Designed by Mary Mowbray Clarke, a West Nyack native, in 1933–34 as memorial to the county's early settlers, it won "Garden of the Year" from Better Home and Gardens magazine in 1935. Master craftsman Biaglo Gugliuzzo of Garnerville created walks and latticed walls of Haverstraw brick. Still standing is the Tea House, with carvings of mountains, windmills and other serene symbols representing aspects of Dutch-American history, others of motifs popular in the 1930s – Popeye, the Baker Cocoa and Old Dutch Cleanser maids. Over the years, it served as a site for weddings and for concerts. Folk singer Burl Ives once performed there and Eleanor Roosevelt visited the garden. Markers on site. It is now a county park with a beautiful display of flowering bulbs in spring. (NRHP)
- English Church and Schoolhouse (New Hempstead Presbyterian Church), 484 New Hempstead Road. The first English-speaking church established in the county, organized by English settlers from Hempstead on Long Island in 1734 who wish to have services in English rather than Dutch as in the Reformed Church. Celebrated its 275th anniversary in 2009. (NRHP)
- H. R. Stevens House – 234 Congers Road (NRHP)
- Historical Society of Rockland County, 20 Zukor Road
- Jacob Blauvelt Farmhouse, 20 Zukor Road – A farmhouse of Dutch colonial style built 1882. Contains an open fireplace for cooking demonstrations. The 4-acre (16,000 m2) site also has a museum, herb garden and nature trail. (NRHP)
- Law Enforcement Museum – The walls of the county Sheriff's Department are lined with photos and interesting memorabilia about enforcement in Rockland County, New York City and around the nation.
- New City Library – 220 North Main Street
- Peter DePew House – 101 Old Route 304 (NRHP)
- Pojn Hill – A nickname based on a local legend for Trout Court
- Saint Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church – celebrated 100 years in November 2007
- South Mountain Road – A winding, two-lane historic road.
- Van Houten Gardens – 241 S. Little Tor Road – Formerly part of the Cropsey Farm. Across the road is a Dutch sandstone house, built around 1769 and owned by the Cropsey family since 1893.