Edward M. Cotter is a fireboat in use by the Buffalo Fire Department at Buffalo, New York, United States. The original name of the ship was the William S. Grattan, and she was built in 1900 by the Crescent Shipyard of Elizabeth Port, New Jersey. Due to age she was rebuilt in 1953 and was renamed Firefighter upon her return. The following year she was renamed the Edward M. Cotter. Her namesake, Edward Cotter, was a Buffalo firefighter and leader of the local firefighters union who had recently died.
The Edward M. Cotter is considered to be the oldest active fireboat in the world and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1996. Along with her firefighting duties, during the winter the Edward M. Cotter is used as an icebreaker on Buffalo's rivers. The Cotter mounts five fire monitors that are capable of pumping 15,000 US gallons per minute (0.95 m3/s; 12,000 imp gal/min). She can often be seen sailing out of her berth and south-west to Lake Erie, returning north through the breakwall and firing her fire monitors.
The ship that was to become the Edward M. Cotter was built in 1900 by the Crescent Shipyard of Elizabeth Port, New Jersey. She was originally named the William S. Grattan after the first paid fire commissioner for the city of Buffalo. Construction was started on March 24, 1900 and she was christened on September 5, 1900 by Virginia Pearson, the young daughter of one of the city's fire commissioners. The final construction cost for the ship was $91,000.
The completed ship was 118 ft (36 m) in length, a beam of 24 ft (7.3 m) and a draft of 10 ft 10 in (3.30 m). A 1.5 in (38.1 mm) thick belt line of Swedish steel was included around the hull for icebreaking duties. The Grattan was powered by two Babcock & Wilcox coal-fired boilers with steam engines rated at 900 horsepower (670 kW). A single propeller provided propulsion. The rated speed of the ship was 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph).