J. Willard Marriott Library is the library of the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah. It was named for J. Willard Marriott, the founder of Marriott International. The library building is more than 516,000 square feet (47,900 m2) and houses more than 3 million volumes. The University of Utah Press is a division of the Marriott Library.The first library was established in 1850 when the school was founded. In 1900 the library was located in the LeRoy Cowles Building on Presidents Circle. In 1935 the library moved to the George Thomas Library Building on Presidents Circle, which now serves as the Utah Museum of Natural History.
In 1968 the library moved to its current location and was named for J. Willard Marriott in 1969 when Mr. Marriott contributed $1 million to the University of Utah for library collections. At the time, this was the largest single contribution ever received by the university. In 1996 the library was rededicated after a 210,000-square-foot (20,000 m2) expansion, which almost doubled the library's size.
A major renovation project began in June 2005 and concluded in June 2009. The purpose of the renovation was to improve the seismic stability of the building, provide clearer pathways through the building, improve environmental controls, and allow for more natural light. Several additions were also made to the building including an automated storage and retrieval system that can store up to 2 million items, additional classrooms and teaching labs, additional study areas, a rooftop garden, an advanced technology studio, and a new indoor café.