Tryon is a town in Polk County, North Carolina, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 1,646. The area is a center for equestrian activity and fine arts.
Bed and Breakfasts and Inns in Tryon include:
- 1906 Pine Crest Inn and Restaurant: The 1906 Pine Crest Inn was originally built in 1906 as a sanitarium for those with tuberculosis. In 1917 it was converted to an inn. The inn was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Its dining room has a AAA four diamond designation. Early in the inn’s history hunters were attracted by its location, sitting right on the edge of the wilderness. Swayback cabin, now more than 240 years old, hosted both Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Tryon has a number of parks including:
- Rogers Park located in downtown Tryon is a park and an open-air amphitheatre. The natural setting includes a small creek and trails and also landscaping with native plants and Crab Orchard stone walls. Its facilities are used for public events, such as music performances, and can be reserved for private events, such as weddings and other occasions.
- Greene Corner, on Melrose Avenue across from the entrance to the Tryon Fine Arts Center, is a beautiful garden and gazebo often used for wedding photos. The Sassoon Park, also on Melrose Avenue, has a modern sculpture and greenery.
- Harmon Field, a 46-acre (190,000 m2) park in Tryon located on Harmon Field Road between US Hwy 176 and NC Hwy 108, is regularly used by town residents and visitors. It offers a variety of activities, from relaxing on trails to active sports participation:
- For horse-back riders there periodic events (see their calendar of events) and facilities include four horse rings and 140 stalls.
- For the sports-minded there are three baseball fields, two soccer fields, four tennis courts, basketball courts, putting green and a playground.
- For those inclined for a leisurely walk there are trails and a community garden.
- Shelters and grills are available for picnics.
- The field also offers rental facilities and a concession stand.
- The Blue Ridge Barbecue and Music Festival, "One of America's most prestigious barbecue competitions!", is held annually at Harmon Field