Wye Oak State Park consists of 29 acres, much of which protects the stream valley behind the park from development. The park is located on State Route 662 in the community of Wye Mills in Talbot County. This park primarily existed to protect the Wye Oak Tree which toppled on June 6, 2002. A pavilion containing a section fo the Wye Oak trunk and the original tree site can be viewed daily from sunrise to sunset.Standing quietly next to the Wye Oak is a brick structure, a story and a half high. The structure dates back to colonial times and was once used as a one-room schoolhouse. The school house is believed to be the second oldest school in Talbot County. The Queen Anne Garden Club restored the "Little House," as they affectionately called it in 1952. The foundation was strengthened, windowpanes repaired and a walkway laid. The restored interior was furnished with a schoolmaster's desk and stool, a long pine table and benches, and a dunce stool.
Plans are currently underway to develop an interpretive display of the history of the Wye Oak on the grounds. The display will contain pieces of the Wye Oak, interpretive panels and a young wye oak sapling.Pets are allowed in Wye Oak State Park. The mill has been in operation since 1664 and continues to operate on a limited basis. Its ancient grindstones produce water ground flour similar to that produced at the mill for the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. The mill is owned by the Society for the Preservation of Maryland Antiquities.This church is said to be one of the oldest Episcopal Churches in the country. The original church was built in 1721 over the foundation of an earlier structure believed to have been built in the last seventeenth century. The exterior is the original brickwork. The interior features high box pews, a canopied hanging pulpit and original gifts to the church.