Gyömrő, a settlement of 15 thousand people that got the title of town in 2001 is located 8 km-s South-East from the border of Budapest on the edge of the Gödöllő hills. On 3rd July 1705 Reigning Prince Ferenc Rákóczi II. made a speech to his soldiers in the border of the settlement in memory of which the National Rákóczi Days are held in Gyömrő on Mánya field. Thanks to the flourishing cultural life of the village it was visited amongst others by Mihály Csokonai Vitéz, Ferenc Kazinczy, Lajos Kossuth and Mihály Táncsics.
The Teleky and the Gyömrőy family also had an important public role. Count Sámuel Teleki built the Castle of Gyömrő designed by József Hild in classicist style between 1840 and 1847 while count Sándor Teleki established the library. An important sight of the Reformed Church adjacent to the castle is the relief of the "Sorrowful Genius" by Antonio Canova, Italian sculptor made of marble from Carrara.
A pearl of the village is the St. John of Nepomuk Roman Catholic Chapel built in 1777, designed by Jakab Fellner in zopf (late baroque) style. the Heart of Jesus Roman Catholic Church standing in the centre of town accommodates many classical concerts due to its excellent acoustics. In the early 1980s a cottage built in the 19th century was converted into a village museum creditably presenting the folk culture and the history of Gyömrő.