The National Theatre of Győr is a theatre in Győr, Hungary. Opened in 2 November 1978, it is the main theatre of the Győr-Moson-Sopron region. Until 1 January. 1992, it beared the name Kisfaludy Károly Theatre. In 2008 the number of visitors was 128 283, thus the theatre ranks as the 6th most visited in the country.
In Győr, just like the rest of western Hungary, the population was majorly German-speaking in the turn of the 18-19th century. Therefore the language of the earliest such enterprises were German, importing theatrical tradition from Vienna. The first plays in the city were religious, conducted regularly in the Jesuit school from the middle of the 18th century, most often in Latin. German plays were played from the late 18th century. After the dissolution of the Jesuit school, the school's refectory was transformed to a theater. From 1768, Felix Berner organizes plays in a permanent wooden structure in the summer periods. Győr's first stone theater was built in 1798 by József Reinpacher in Győrsziget, although the entrance hall was still from wood. This building, expanded in 1830 to a capacity of 600 seats, provided home for German and Hungarian theatre in the city for over 130 years, and was demolished in 1927. The city regained its playhouse in 1937 by transforming a former diary factory to a Community Centre, including a theatre- and a concert hall. The building was named Kisfaludy Károly Theatre in 1949.