This little town lies the highest (400 m) of Hungarian towns. It was founded in 1182 by French white monks from Clairvaux invited by King Béla III to Hungary. After the Turkish occupation of Hungary, Cistercians from Heinrichau, Silesia began to rebuilt the town from 1712 and established an intellectual and economical culture - which was known and respected all over Europe - in the heart of the peaceful forests of High-Bakony.
Zirc is considered to be the “Capital of Bakony Hills“. It is 120 km far from Budapest, 30 km from Lake Balaton and 60 km from Gyôr, and is one of the most attractive little towns in Veszprém County. This more than 800-year-old settlement used to be a prosperous market-town, later it became the centre of the district, and it has been a town since 1984. As the economical and intellectual centre of the area with a population of 21,000. It fulfills its cultural, educational, commercial, servicing, health and administrational duties. Tourism is outstandingly important in the “Capital of Bakony“. The town‘s sights and programmes attract about 100,000 visitors every year. The area of Zirc is one of the most beautiful territories of Bakony Hills where the main values are the tranquillity, the fresh air and the marvellous nature. A railway line - passing through the Cuha Valley and connecting Gyôr, Zirc and Veszprém - does hikers a great service. The city welcomes the visitors with familiar hospitality. There are different cultural facilities, information offices, several pubs, hostels, and paying-guest service.