Axminster railway station serves the town of Axminster in Devon, England. Opened by the London and South Western Railway (LSWR) in 1860, it is now served by South West Trains’ London Waterloo to Exeter services. It is 144.5 miles (232.6 km) from Waterloo.
The station was opened on 19 July 1860 when the LSWR opened its Exeter Extension from Yeovil Junction to Exeter Queen Street. The main offices and goods shed were situated on the east side of the line and a small engine shed was provided for the locomotive that was kept here to help trains up the 1 in 80 (1.25%) climb through Seaton Junction to Honiton. A signal box was provided in 1875, situated at the south end of the westbound platform.
Services for many years featured both express trains between London Waterloo and Devon and Cornwall as well as local services between Salisbury or Yeovil and Exeter, but in 1903 Axminster became a junction when the Lyme Regis branch line was opened. A bay platform was built on the west side of the station but the branch climbed a 1 in 80 (1.25%) to cross the main line south of the station by a bridge. There was also a short 1 in 40 connection from the goods yard directly to the branch, but this was removed in 1915. The engine shed was demolished to make room for the new branch, but a new coal stage and water tank was built next to the bay platform. The lever frame in the signal box was extended in 1903 to accommodate the new line, but alterations three years later to accommodate full signalling on the branch required the building to be extended.