Bramber is a village and civil parish in the Horsham District of West Sussex, England. It is located on the northern edge of the South Downs and on the west side of the River Adur. Nearby are the communities of Steyning to the west and Upper Beeding to the east, and the other side of the river. The closest historical connection, however, is with the village of Botolphs to the south. The ecclesiastical parishes of Bramber and Botolphs were united possibly as early as 1526, but certainly by 1534 with the priest living at Botolphs. Later the priest's official residence became the imposing Bramber mansion and landmark now called 'Burletts' and located on Clays Hill. (The union of the civil parish councils followed 400 years later in 1933).
On a small hill stands the remains of a Norman castle, held during the 11th to 14th centuries by the Braose Lords of Bramber, a family noted for its impact on the medieval history of the southern Welsh Marches. The castle church (dedicated to St Nicholas) still stands. Originally built as the castle chapel, this is now the parish church of Bramber, and is the only part of the Bramber Castle site not in ruins. The church attracts large numbers of tourists, and is the oldest post-conquest Norman church in Sussex. Bramber Castle originally protected and gave its name to the traditional sub-division of the county of Sussex known as the Rape of Bramber.