Parnell Square is an important Georgian square sited at the northern end of O'Connell Street, and west of Mountjoy Square
, in the city of Dublin, Ireland. Formerly named Rutland Square, it was renamed after Charles Stewart Parnell (1846–1891), as was Parnell Street, which forms the southern side of the square. Surrounded on three sides by terraces of original intact Georgian houses, much of the southern part of the square and its centre is taken up by extensions of the Rotunda Hospital. The Garden of Remembrance is located along the northern side of this area. Its main entrance is on the eastern side of the square, with a smaller entrance on the northern side of the square.
In the south easterly corner of the square, where it meets with O'Connell Street, is sited the Gate Theatre, and the Ambassador and Pillar Room venues. Entertainments were originally developed here as part of the Rotunda Hospital scheme by Bartholomew Mosse as a revenue engine to pay for the running of what was Europe's first lying-in maternity hospital. Extensive pleasure gardens, subsequently forming the body of the square, were located to the rear of the hospital in the original development.
The Hugh Lane
Gallery is on the north side of the square. It was erected in cut stone by Lord Charlemont to a design by William Chambers during the Georgian period. On this side also is the Dublin Writers Museum
and the Irish Writers' Centre. The striking Gothic Revival Findlater's Church just up from the gallery on the same side was erected in the 1860s by Alexander Findlater, at his own expense, and which he presented to the Presbyterian congregation. The James Joyce Centre is located nearby on North Great Georges Street, a street notably rich for its Georgian houses as is the nearby and historic Mountjoy Square.
Famous Historic Residents And Events
- No 5 – Birthplace of Oliver St John Gogarty (1878–1957); writer, surgeon, and senator. A friend of Michael Collins and the writers WB Yeats and James Joyce, Gogarty was unwillingly immortalized as Buck Mulligan in the Ulysses.
- No 9 Cavendish Row – Dr Bartholomew Mosse (1713–1759); Philanthropist and surgeon. Mosse lived here, having originally hailed from Portlaoise.
- No 25 Parnell Square, Gaelic League Building. This building is of great significance during the period surrounding the War of Independence as it was here on September 9, 1914 that a meeting held by Supreme Council of the Irish Republican Brotherhood (IRB) with selected others agreed to rise up against the British before the Great War, subsequently known as the First World War, would be finished: In attendance were Eamonn Ceannt, Thomas Clarke, James Connolly, Arthur Griffith, John McBride, Sean MacDermott, Sean McGarry, William “Bill” O'Brien, Seán T. O'Kelly, Padraig Pearse, Joseph Plunkett.
- No 29 – 30 Parnell Square – Formerly Vaughan’s Hotel; a favourite hiding and meeting place for freedom fighter Michael Collins.
- No 44 Parnell Square - The Kevin Barry memorial hall is the current headquarters of Sinn Féin.
- No 58 Parnell Square - The Sinn Féin Bookshop and the offices of the An Phoblacht newspaper.