Alcamo is the fourth largest city in the province of Trapani, in north-western Sicily, Southern Italy. Alcamo was founded in 828 by the Muslim commander al-Kamuk, though other sources date its origin to c. 972. The original Christian settlement, definitively abandoned in the 14th century, was located where remains of a tower and a water reservoir can be seen in the neighbourhood.
The first document mentioning Alcamo is from 1154, a document by the Arab geographer Idrisi. Not many years later, ibn Jubayr describes the city as a beleda. In the Middle Ages Alcamo was largely inhabited by Muslim people, whose numbers declined however after the Norman conquest of Sicily, begun in 1060. A series of Arab revolts between 1221 and 1243 led King Frederick II to move much of the Arab population to a colony at Lucera, while Christians from Bonifato came to inhabit the city. In this period was born the famous poet Ciullo or Cielo d'Alcamo.
- The Castle of the Counts of Modica (14th century). It has a rhomboidal plan, with four towers; two are quadrangular, two are cylindrical. In the northern part a mullioned window in Gothic style can be seen.
- Cathedral (18th century) has works of art by Giacomo Gagini and Giacomo Serpotta, as well as frescos by Guglielmo Borremans.
The surrounding areas include interesting tourist and historical locations like Segesta
and Gibellina. The old fishing village of Scopello, 20 km from Alcamo, has been referred to as having a remarkable seaside. Another village considered worth visiting is Castellammare del Golfo which is between these two places.