Arezzo is a city and comune in Central Italy, capital of the province of the same name, located in Tuscany. Arezzo is about 80 km southeast of Florence, at an elevation of 296 m above sea level.
Piazza Grande - The Piazza Grande is the most noteworthy medieval square in the city, opening behind the 13th century Romanesque apse of Santa Maria della Pieve. Once the main marketplace of the city, it is currently the site of the Giostra del Saracino ("Joust of the Saracen").
Landmarks of the square include:
- The Palace of the Lay Fraternity (Fraternita dei Laici): 14th-15th century palazzo.
- The Vasari Loggia along the north side.
- Episcopal Palace, seat of the bishops, rebuilt in the mid-13th century.
- Palazzo Cofani-Brizzolari, with the Torre Faggiolana.
- Remains of the Communal Palace and the Palazzo del Popolo can also be seen.
- Romanesque church of Santa Maria della Pieve.
- The Gothic Cathedral of Saint Donatus (13th-early 16th centuries).
- Basilica of San Francesco (13th-14th centuries), in Tuscan-Gothic style.
- Basilica of San Domenico (founded in 1275 and completed in the early 14th century).
- Church of San Michele, with a modern facade.
- Church of St. Augustine, founded in 1257.
- Badia di SS. Flora e Lucilla (12th century).
- San Lorenzo, one of the most ancient of the city.
- Santa Maria delle Grazie, a late Gothic sanctuary.
- Santa Maria a Gradi (1591), a monastery existing already in 1043.
- Church of Santissima Trinità. Built in 1348.
- Santa Maria Maddalena, built in 1561 over a pre-14th century structure.
- Pieve di San Paolo, in San Paolo, erected as Palaeo-Christian baptismal church.
- Pieve di Sant'Eugenia al Bagnoro, in Bagnoro.
- Pieve di San Donnino a Maiano, at Palazzo del Pero (6th-9th centuries).
- Roman amphitheatre and museum.
- Palazzo dei Priori, erected in 1333.
- Medici Fortress (Fortezza Medicea).
- Palazzo Camaiani-Albergotti (14th century, renovated in the 16th century).
- Palazzo Bruni-Ciocchi, Renaissance edifice attributed to Bernardo Rossellino.
- Palazzo Pretorio, which was seat of the People's Captain until 1290.
- House of Petrarch (Casa del Petrarca).
- Casa Vasari (in Via XX Settembre) an older house rebuilt in 1547.
- Ivan Bruschi House and Museum (Casa-Museo "Ivan Bruschi").
- Gaio Cilnio Mecenate Archeological Museum.
- Civic Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art.
- UnoAErre Jewelry Museum.