Bassano del Grappa is a city and comune in the province of Vicenza, region Veneto, in northern Italy. The artist Jacopo Bassano was born, worked, and died in Bassano and took it as his surname. Bassano Del Grappa is also famous for inventing the spirit Grappa, traditionally an after-dinner drink made from pomace.
The city was founded in the 2nd century BC by a Roman called Bassianus, whence the name, as an agricultural estate. The first news of the existence of the medieval city dates from 998, while the Castle is mentioned first in 1150. In 1175 Bassano was conquered by Vicenza, but the city maintained a semi-autonomous status as a free commune in the 13th century also, when it was under the family of the Ezzelinos.
- The Cathedral (Duomo), built around the year 1000 but renovated in 1417. It has works by Leandro da Bassano, Ottavio Marinali and others
- The Castello Superiore (Upper Castle)
- The church of St. John the Baptist, built in the 14th century and restored in the 18th century.
- The church of St. Francis, with a Crucifix by Guariento (14th century) and remains of contemporary frescoes. Next to the church is the Town Museum, with ancient archaeological remains, works by Antonio Canova and the Tiepolos, and drawings by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, Spagnoletto, Albrecht Dürer and Rembrandt
- The wooden covered Bridge, or Ponte degli Alpini, on the Brenta River, designed in 1569 by the architect Andrea Palladio to replace a pre-existing construction existing at least from 1209. The bridge was destroyed in 1748, and was rebuilt three years later. The Nardini tavern on the bridge, unchanged since 1779.
- Palazzo Michieli-Bonato', with a façade frescoed by Jacopo da Bassano.
- The Palazzo del Municipio (Town Hall), erected from 1404. It has a noteworthy loggia and a fresco attributed to Jacopo da Bassano.
- The Monte di Pietà, a Renaissance edifice with 15th century coats of arms.
- The Palazzo Sturm, home to the Ceramics Museum
In the neighbourhood are the Villa Rezzonico, designed by Baldassarre Longhena, and the 17th century Villa Bianchi-Michiel, with a garden decorated by statues.