Fossano is a town and comune of Piedmont, Italy, in the province of Cuneo. It is the fourth largest town of the Province of Cuneo, after Cuneo, Alba and Bra. It lies on the main railway line from Turin to Cuneo and to Savona, and has a branch line to Mondovì.
The old part of the town of Fossano lies in the high part of the town. It is divided in two borghi (ancient quarters): Borgo Piazza (Square's Quarter), developed from 1400 to 1700 and Borgo Vecchio (Old Quarter), the oldest part of the town, developed in the Middle Ages. Rich in mediaeval, renaissance and baroque buildings, it is characterized by the ancient portici (arcades), built on both sides of via Roma (the main street of the old town) but also along other streets, such as via Cavour, via Garibaldi, via Barotti, via Muratori. On the Eastern side, the old town is delimited by viale Mellano, a pedestrian promenade with a wonderful sight of Langhe;on the Western side, along via Martiri dell'Indipendenza, viale Sacerdote and viale Bianco, you can enjoy the panorama of South-western Alps, whose apex is Monviso. There are also some parts of the ancient town walls.
Castle of the Princes of Acaja:
It is a massive castle with four high towers, begun by Filippo d'Acaia in 1314 and finished in 1332. It has a square plan with four powerful towers at each side, connected by passages with merlons. One century later Amadeus VIII of Savoy turned it into a ducal residence; the beautiful inner courtyard, designed by Gaspare Solari, is from the late 15th century. The castle, after serving as jail and barracks, is now the seat of cultural events and of one of the biggest libraries of the region.
The cathedral was reconstructed at the end of the 18th century in Neoclassicist style, replacing the former 13th century church.
The town's hospital and the Trinity Church were designed by Francesco Gallo in the 18th century. The Palazzo del Comandante is a Baroque building constructed in the 17th century. There are also Mineral Baths and a center for agriculture and cattle-breeding.