The Uffizi Gallery is a museum in Florence, Italy. It is one of the oldest and most famous art museums of the Western world.
The Palazzo degli Uffizi brought together under one roof the administrative offices, the Tribunal and the state archive (Archivio di Stato). The project that was planned by Cosimo I, Grand Duke of Tuscany to arrange that prime works of art in the Medici collections on the piano nobile was effected by Francis I of Tuscany, who commissioned from Buontalenti the famous Tribuna degli Uffizi that united a selection of the outstanding masterpieces in the collection in an ensemble that was a star attraction of the Grand Tour.
Today, the Uffizi is one of the most popular tourist attractions of Florence. In high season, waiting times can be up to five hours. Visitors who reserve a ticket in advance have a substantially shorter wait.
Here is a selection from the collection of paintings:
- Leonardo da Vinci (The Annunciation, The Adoration of the Magi)
- Sandro Botticelli (Primavera, The Birth of Venus, The Adoration of the Magi and others)
- Giotto (The Ognissanti Madonna, Badia Polyptych)
- Titian (Flora, Venus of Urbino)
- Michelangelo (The Doni Tondo)
- Raphael (Madonna of the Goldfinch, Pope Leo X with Cardinals Giulio de' Medici and Luigi de' Rossi)
- Cimabue (Maestà)
- Duccio (Maestà)
- Simone Martini (The Annunciation)
- Paolo Uccello (The Battle of San Romano)
- Piero della Francesca (Diptych of Duke Federico da Montefeltro and Duchess Battista Sforza of Urbino)
- Fra Filippo Lippi (Madonna with Child and Two Angels, Incoronation of the Virgin)
- Andrea del Verrocchio (The Baptism of Christ)
- Hugo van der Goes (The Portinari Triptych)
- Piero di Cosimo (Perseus Freeing Andromeda)
- Albrecht Dürer (The Adoration of the Magi)
- Parmigianino (The Madonna of the Long Neck)
- Caravaggio (Bacchus, The Sacrifice of Isaac, Medusa)
- Artemisia Gentileschi (Judith and Holofernes)
- Rembrandt Van Rijn (Selfportrait as a Young Man, Selfportrait as an Old Man, Portrait of an Old Man)