Nardo is a town and comune of 31,185 inhabitants and comune in the southern Italian region of Apulia, in the province of Lecce. Traces of human presence in the area dates from Palaeolithic times. The settlement was founded by the Messapi around the year 1000 BC. The Romans conquered it in 269 BC and built the Via Traiana through it. After the fall of the Western Empire it was under the Byzantines and the Lombards.
This Baroque town in the heart of the Salento subpeninsula of the heel of Italy extending southeast between the Ionian and Adriatic Sea, has landscapes considered to be among the most beautiful in Italy, baroque monuments, baroque churches and masserie (typical ancient fortified farmhouses). The coast has sandy and rocky sections, but allows some lovely views of the Natural Park of Portoselvaggio. Its territory includes 34 km of Ionian Sea coast with ancient fishermen villages: Santa Maria al Bagno, Santa Caterina and Santo Isidoro.
- The Piazza Salandra is the center of the town.
- The notable Cathedral, built around 1000 AD. It has a 18th century façade, but the interior has maintained the Romanesque-Gothic original appearance.
- Church of San Domenico (16th-18th centuries). It has a highly decorated façade with Baroque caryatids, columns and vegetable figures.
- Chiesa del Carmine, with a fine Renaissance portal.
- Church of San Cosimo (1618)
- Temple of the Osanna (1603)
- Nardò Ring in Nardò is used as a test track for driving at high speeds.