Pisa is a city in Tuscany, Central Italy, on the right bank of the mouth of the River Arno on the Tyrrhenian Sea. It is the capital city of the Province of Pisa. Although Pisa is known worldwide for its leaning tower (the bell tower of the city's cathedral), the city of over 88,332 residents (around 200,000 with the metropolitan area) contains more than 20 other historic churches, several palaces and various bridges across the River Arno.
The city is also home of the University of Pisa, which has a history going back to the 12th century and also has the mythic Napoleonic Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa and Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies as the best Superior Graduate Schools in Italy.
While the Leaning Tower is the most famous image of the city, it is one of many works of art and architecture in the city's Piazza del Duomo, also known, since 20th century, as Piazza dei Miracoli (Square of Miracles), to the north of the old town center. The Piazza del Duomo also houses the Duomo (the Cathedral), the Baptistry and the Camposanto Monumentale (the monumental cemetery).
Other interesting sights include:
- Knights' Square (Piazza dei Cavalieri), where the Palazzo della Carovana, with its impressive facade.
- Church of St. Sixtus, it was formally consecrated in 1133.
- The church of St. Francis.
- Church of San Frediano, built by 1061.
- Church of San Nicola, built by 1097.
- The small church of Santa Maria della Spina.
- The church of San Paolo a Ripa d'Arno, founded around 952 and enlarged in the mid-12th century.
- The Borgo Stretto.
- The Medici Palace.
- The Orto botanico di Pisa is Europe's oldest university botanical garden.
- The Palazzo Reale ("Royal Palace").
- Palazzo Gambacorti, a Gothic building of the 14th century.
- Palazzo Agostini, a Gothic building also known as Palazzo dell'Ussero, with its 15th century facade.
- The mural Tuttomondo, the last public work of Keith Haring, on the rear wall of the convent of the Church of Sant'Antonio, painted in June 1989.
Pisa boasts several Museums:
- Museo dell'Opera del Duomo
- Museo delle Sinopie
- Museo Nazionale di S. Matteo
- Museo Nazionale di Palazzo Reale
- Museo Nazionale degli Strumenti per il Calcolo
- Museo di storia naturale e del territorio dell'Università di Pisa