Spoleto (Latin Spoletium) is an ancient city in the Italian province of Perugia in east central Umbria on a foothill of the Apennines. It is 20 km (12 mi) S. of Trevi, 29 km (18 mi) N. of Terni, 63 km (39 mi) SE of Perugia; 212 km (132 mi) SE of Florence; and 126 km (78 mi) N of Rome.
Ancient and lay buildings
- The Roman theater - Largely rebuilt. The stage is occupied by the former church of St. Agatha, currently housing the National Archaeological Museum.
- Ponte Sanguinario ("bloody bridge") - A Roman bridge 1st century BC.
- Roman amphitheater (2nd century AD) - It was turned into a fortress by Totila in 545 and in Middle Ages times was used for stores and shops.
- The Palazzo Comunale (13th century).
- Ponte delle Torri - A striking 13th-century aqueduct, possibly on Roman foundations.
- The majestic Rocca Albornoziana - Built in 1359–1370 by the architect Matteo Gattapone of Gubbio for Cardinal Albornoz.
- The Palazzo Racani-Arroni (16th century) - Has a worn graffito decoration attributed to Giulio Romano. The inner courtyard has a notable fountain.
- Palazzo della Signoria (14th century) - Housing the city's museum.
- The majestic Palazzo Vigili (15th-16th centuries) - Includes the Torre dell'Olio (13th century), the sole mediaeval city tower remaining in Spoleto.
- The Duomo (Cathedral) of S. Maria Assunta, begun around 1175 and completed in 1227.
- San Pietro extra Moenia was founded in 419 to house Peter's relics over an ancient necropolis.
- The basilica of San Salvatore (4th-5th century) incorporates the cella of a Roman temple and is one of the most important examples of Early Christian architecture.
- San Ponziano is a notable complex lying outside the city's walls, dedicated to the patron saint of Spoleto.
- Santa Maria della Manna d'Oro, is an edifice on an octagonal plan sited near the Cathedral.
- San Domenico (13th century) is a Gothic construction in white and pink stone. The interior has notable frescoes and a painting by Giovanni Lanfranco.
- San Gregorio Maggiore (11th-12th century), is a Romanesque church which has been restored to original lines only in recent times.
- The former Church of Santi Giovanni e Paolo is a Romanesque edifice featuring, on the exterior, a 13th century fresco portraying Madonna with Saints.
- Santa Eufemia (12th century), a striking example of Romanesque architecture with influences from Lombardy and Veneto.
- San Paolo inter vineas (10th century) is a typical Spoletine Romanesque church.
- The former Church and Augustinian convent of San Nicolò (1304) is a rare example of Gothic style in Spoleto.
- San Filippo Neri is a Baroque construction of mid-17th century, designed by the Spoletine Loreto Scelli and inspired by churches in Rome of the same period.
- Sant'Ansano was created in the 18th century over a series of former buildings including a Roman temple (1st century AD) and the Mediaeval St. Isaac's crypt.