Terni is a city in southern Umbria, central Italy, capital of the province of Terni, located in the plain of the Nera river. It is 104 km (65 mi) N of Rome, 36 km (23 mi) NW of Rieti, and 29 km (18 mi) S of Spoleto.
- The Roman amphitheater, once capable of 10,000 spectators, built in 32 BC.
- The small Roman gate of Porta Sant'Angelo, one of the four ancient entrances to the city, much restored.
- The Cathedral (Duomo) of S. Maria Assunta (17th century). Built over one of the most ancient Christian edifices of the city, it has today Baroque lines. In the interior is one organ designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini. the belfry is from the 18th century. The façade has two mediaeval gates: one of them has the profile of a sabot once used to measure the citizen's shoes in order they do not exceed a fixed limit of decency.
- Church of S. Francesco.
- The Basilica of S. Valentino.
- Palazzo Mazzancolli is one of the few remains of the Middle Ages past of the city.
- Palazzo Gazzoli (18th century), housing the City's Gallery with works by Pierfrancesco d'Amelia, Benozzo Gozzoli, Gerolamo Troppa and Orneore Metelli.
- Palazzo Spada (16th century), by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger. It is the current Town Hall.
- The Lancia di Luce ("Lance of Light"), by the sculptor Arnaldo Pomodoro.
- Todi Castle (1100 AD) once used for wars is now a vacation spot for tourists.
The Romanesque churches:
- S. Alò (11th century).
- S. Martino.
- S. Salvatore.
Nearby, at the confluence of the Velino and Nera Rivers, is the Cascata delle Marmore, a 165 m waterfall.