The Moi International Sports Centre
(abbreviated as M.I.S.C.) is a multi-purpose stadium in Kasarani
, Kenya. It was built in 1987 for the All-Africa Games held in Nairobi
. It is currently used mostly for football matches. The stadium was used to host the 2009 MTV Africa Music Awards.
The stadium had been closed since January 2010 for major renovations costing about Ksh. 900 million, which was funded by a grant to the Government of Kenya by the Government of China
. They were being carried out by a Chinese firm, Sheng Li Engineering Construction Company Limited. The stadium was reopened in March 2012.
This is the football stadium located within the Moi International Sports Centre. It holds 60,000 people. It is used by the Kenya national football team for most of its home games, as well as Kenyan Premier League sides Mathare United and Tusker F.C.
Kasarani Indoor Arena:
This is the indoor arena and gymnasium within the centre. It is used for volleyball, gymnastics and other sports. It has a capacity of 5,000.
Kasarani Aquatic Complex
This complex holds:
- A public children's pool
- A warm-up/training pool 1.25 metres in length
- An olympic-size (1.5 metres) competition pool
- A recreational public diving pool with 3 springboards, the highest being at an altitude of 10 metres above the pool.
The Stadion Hotel
This is a public hotel located within the centre. It includes:
- Accommodation with 108 rooms equipped with TVs and telephones
- 200-seater restaurant and 60-seater adjacent grillroom
- A sports bar
- A 400-seater multi-purpose ballroom
- A business Centre with a cybercafé
- Seminar rooms with secretariat
- A gift shop
- A luxurious private swimming pool
- A poolside bar