The Latgale Culture and History Museum was established in 1959 as a branch of the Ludza Region Research Museum. However, its origin can be traced back to the 1930s when the Latgale Central Museum was set up and was located in the current building of the museum until World War Two.
After an interval of 15 years, the museum resumed its operation in the same building and it has since 1960 operated permanently as the Rēzekne Region Research Museum. In accordance with the nature and content of the collection, the Rēzekne Region Research Museum was renamed the Latgale Culture and History Museum (LKM) in 1990.
The museum’s reading-room has been open since 1989, where not only Latgalian literature is available, but literature in foreign languages, poetry and prose, historical and philosophical, religious and pedagogical and other literature is also available– in total, more than 28 000 publications. In 1996, Rēzekne municipality handed over a three-storied house to the museum next to the museum’s central building, where the LKM Exhibition House started operating.
The museum’s Exhibition House has annual average of 20 art and thematic exhibitions (painting, graphics, sculpture, applied arts of local and visiting artists, exhibitions from collections of Latvian museums, international exhibitions, the traditional “Rudens” [“Autumn”] exhibition of works of Latgale’s artists, etc.).
There is a permanent exposition of Latgale ceramics “Māla un uguns pārvērtību radīts brīnums” (“A Wonder Created from Clay and Fire”) and the city history exposition “Rēzekne laikmetu griežos” (“Rēzekne over the Course of Time”).