St.Trinity Church was one of the first newly-built Lutheran stone churches in Europe. Moreover, it is considered the first stone building in the town of Jelgava. Its construction commenced in 1573 according to Dutch builder Joris Joriszn Frese’s project, and the first services were held in 1575.
The City of Jelgava was almost completely destroyed during World War II. St. Trinity Church also suffered heavy damage. Finally, in 1954, Soviet army soldiers blasted the church building, leaving only the tower for military needs.
Since 1998, the St. Trinity Church tower has been included in the List of state protected cultural heritage monuments as a state historical monument.
The tower was covered with a glass roof in 2004. It currently stands 50,17 meters high, and its shape has been preserved in its original design by architect Martin Knoch.
1st floor – Tourist Information Centre
3rd floor – History Display “Zemgale – A Cradle of latvian presidents”
4th floor – History Display “Jelgava and The Holy Trinity Church in the change of epochs”
5th floor – History Display “Zemgale Folk Costume”
7th floor – Conference hall
8th floor – Restaurant
9th floor – Exhibition hall and sightseeing platform
Visitors may see the city from the sightseeing platform, which shows a panorama of the City of Jelgava, if one uses the provided special monitors and zooms-in for a closer view.
Tower visitors are offered a parking place for their vehicle, and there are also bicycle stands at the entrance from the river side.