Turaida Museum Reserve is a heritage site. The 42 hectares of grounds are replete with archaeological, architectural, historical and art monuments, all of which provide an account of the events from the eleventh century onwards. The events of the Turaida Museum Reserve are multi-faceted: besides setting up exhibitions, activities are geared towards the preservation of the cultural environment, the maintenance and shaping of the landscape, as well as diverse visitor-oriented activities.
Turaida Museum Reserve is located 50 km from Riga and is known for its beautiful surroundings and history. The name Turaida means “God’s garden” in the language of the ancient inhabitants, the Livonians. In 1996, the museum was named one of the European Museums of the Year. When viewed from a hot-air balloon or the opposite bank of the Gauja on an autumn evening, Turaida Castle rises above the green foliage like an imposing ship built out of red brick. Visitors of Turaida Museum Reserve can familiarise themselves with the more striking elements of medieval castle-building while taking a walk along the castle ramparts.
The museum contains Dainas Hill a garden of sculptures dedicated to Latvian folklore. It was created to honour Krišjānis Barons, the most distinguished collector of folk songs. Turaida Church is one of the oldest wooden churches in Latvia, built in 1750. Archaeological research demonstrates that the site had contained at least two previous churches.
Several nature trails have been developed on the grounds of the Museum Reserve, they are between two hundred metres and one kilometre, long.