Åmli is a municipality in the county of Aust-Agder, Norway. It is located in the traditional region of Sørlandet. The main population centre and administrative center is the village of Åmli which lies along the river Nidelva.The municipality (originally the parish) is named after the old Åmli farm (Old Norse Almlíð), since the first church was built there. The first element is almr which means "elm" and the last element is líð which means "hillside". The name was previously spelled Omlid and Aamli.
The coat-of-arms is from modern times. The arms were granted in 1987. It shows a silver beaver on a blue background. Odd Einar Ufsvatn was the designer. The beaver was chosen because the Åmli area is one of the few remaining beaver habitats in Europe, and beavers from Norway have been used to help re-populate other areas in Europe where the beaver had gone extinct in the wild.The parish of Omlid was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). In 1876, the area of Mykland (population: 663) was separated from it to become a separate municipality. This left Åmli with 2,564 inhabitants. On 1 January 1908, the area of Gjøvdal (pop: 590) and the area of Tovdal (pop: 389) were both separated from the municipality of Åmli to form their own municipalities. This left Åmli with 2,024 residents.