Nordre Land is a municipality in Oppland county, Norway. It is part of the traditional region of Land. The administrative centre of the municipality is the village of Dokka.The old municipality of Land was divided into Nordre Land and Søndre Land in 1847. The area of Torpa was separated from Nordre Land on 1 January 1914 to become a separate municipality, but it was merged back into Nordre Land on 1 January 1962.The Old Norse form of the name was just Land which means "land". The meaning of the name Nordre Land is "(the) northern (part of) Land". The parish and municipality of Land was divided in 1847.
The coat-of-arms is from modern times. They were granted in 1987. The arms show two gold-colored hooks for log driving (or "brøtningshaker") on a blue background. They were designed by Dag Magne Staurheim. The municipality of Nordre Land has rich traditions within the field of log driving, which the vast number of log dams within the area bare witness to. Tools were required for the log driving, and the local blacksmiths made pike poles. Every blacksmith created his own shape or design for the poles, and one of the most famous pike poles in Nordre Land were the ones made by the blacksmith Kristian Halden. In addition to pike poles he made knives. The poles and knives were named "Hæillhakar" and "Hæillakniver" by the locals. It is the "Halden Pole" which has been the model for the municipal arms of Nordre Land.