Trondheim Airport, Værnes (IATA: TRD, ICAO: ENVA) (Norwegian: Trondheim lufthavn, Værnes) is an international airport located in Stjørdal, 10 nautical miles (19 km; 12 mi) east of Trondheim, Norway. Operated by the state-owned Avinor, it shares facilities with Værnes Air Station of the Royal Norwegian Air Force. In 2011, the airport had 3,926,461 (+11.5%) passengers and 57,912 air movements, making it the fourth-busiest in the country.
Værnes was taken into use by the Royal Norwegian Army in 1887. The first flight was made in 1914, and aerodrome facilities were gradually installed. The first main installations, including three concrete runways, were built during World War II by Luftwaffe. After the war, the Air Force Pilot School moved to Værnes, although in 1954 most of the other air force activities for Central Norway were moved to Ørland Main Air Station. Civilian aviation started in 1951, when half a barracks was taken into use as a terminal, with the whole building being utilized from 1958.
Trondheim Airport is a joint military and civilian airport located in the municipality of Stjørdal in Nord-Trøndelag, with the northern part of the airport bordering the town of Stjørdalshalsen. To the west, the airport borders the Trondheimsfjord, and to the south the Stjørdal River. Combining the functions as an international, domestic and regional airport, it is located 10 nautical miles (19 km; 12 mi) east of Trondheim. Most of the airport area is owned by the Norwegian Ministry of Defence, although the civilian facilities and the air traffic control are owned and operated by Avinor, a subsidiary of the Norwegian Ministry of Transport and Communications.