In the mid-13th century the lords of Krumlov, who belonged to the important noble family of Vítkovce, founded the castle Krumlov on a steep rocky bulge above the stream of the river Vltava. In 1302 the Rosenberg family took over the castle and made it their main residential place. During the era of Vilem of Rosenberg the huge Gothic castle was rebuilt under the guidance of Italian masters into a monumental Renaissance residence and at the same period it became important cultural, social and economic centre of the large Rosenberg dominion. Petr Vok of Rosenberg sold the residence to Rudolph II because of financial reasons. Rudolph II did not ever visit the place and in 1622 his cousin Emperor Ferdinand II presented it to his banker Jan Ulrich of Eggenberg.
At the end of the 17th century during the era of Jan Christian of Eggenberg the chateau went through extent reconstruction in the Baroque style. The floor of the halls was equally levelled, huge Baroque staircases were constructed, the Baroque gardens were designed and the new Baroque theatre building and the mint were built. After extinction of the Eggenburg family the Schwarzenber family inherited the property and the union of the two noble families created extent dominion, resembling the Rosenberg era by its size and location. Further reconstruction in the style of High Baroque took place during the period of Josef Adam of Schwarzenberg. He had the Mirror Hall and the Mask Hall reconstructed and decorated by illusive Rococo paintings by Josef Lederer. The Eggenberg theatre building was rebuilt and equipped with a large collection of wings by Viennese painters, theatre costumes and requisites from the 18th century. In the garden the wooden pavilion Belaria was reconstructed and a new wooden music pavilion and a winter chateau riding-school was built. The theatre and the park are accessible by the corridors on the upper floors of the Late Baroque bridge – a technical sight, which vaults across the castle moat.