Piarco International Airport (IATA: POS, ICAO: TTPP) is the main airport serving Trinidad and Tobago located in Piarco, a town in northern Trinidad, about 25 km (16 mi) east of the capital city, Port of Spain. It is one of two international airports serving the twin isle republic. The other is located on the island of Tobago, A.N.R Robinson International Airport. The airport has one runway and two helipads.
Piarco International Airport has direct service to destinations in the United States, Canada, Central America, South America and Europe. The airport is the hub for the national airline of Trinidad and Tobago, Caribbean Airlines and is a third hub for Leeward Islands Air Transport (LIAT).
Considered one of the most modern airports in the Caribbean, Piarco Airport opened on January 8, 1931, to serve Venezuela's Compagnie Generale Aeropostale. Prior to this, the Queen's Park Savannah, the Mucarapo Field, and the Cocorite Docks (for flying boats) were used as airstrips to serve the island.
During World War II the original airfield was used to house the Royal Navy Observer School 'HMS Goshawk'. Starting in 1942, it was also used by both the United States Army Air Force Sixth Air Force and United States Navy air squadrons. The airport was used both as a transport airfield and also for antisubmarine patrol flights over the south Caribbean. It was returned to civil control after the war.