Carlingford is a suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Carlingford is 22 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district in the local government areas of the The Hills Shire, Hornsby Shire and the City of Parramatta. Carlingford is on the north-eastern outskirts of the Greater Western Sydney region and is on the south-eastern outskirts of the Hills District and western outskirts of Northern Suburbs.
The Carlingford and nearby district hosts a wide range of built and natural heritage sites. These include Aboriginal cultural sites, houses, public buildings, churches, gardens, regeneration sites, industrial, war memorials, road infrastructure and former farm sites. Some of these are formally listed on the NSW State Heritage Register or identified in the NSW State Inventory. Several are also appear on the Register of the National Estate. As with much of suburban Sydney, many sites have been destroyed through years of development or neglect.
A handful of Carlingford and district’s heritage sites include:
- Barrengarry House and outbuildings (c.1888) (now part of James Ruse Agricultural High School)
- Blaxland House, Brush Farm (c.1820), 19 Lawson Street, Eastwood
- Carlingford Produce Store (1902), 1 Thallon Street, Carlingford
- Carlingford Public School building and cottage (1887), Marsden Rd, Carlingford
- Cemetery (1850), Marsden Road, Carlingford
- Old Dundas Quarry (Geological Corridor through Time), Evans Rd, Dundas Valley
- Galaringi Reserve, 356 Marsden Road, Carlingford
- Lauriston House (mid 1870s), Marsden Road, Dundas
- Marsden Road Uniting Church (1865), 203 Marsden Road, Carlingford
- Mobbs Hill Reservoir (1916), 224 Marsden Road, Carlingford
- Redstone (aka Winter House) (1935), architect: Walter Burley Griffin, Telopea
- Former St Paul’s Anglican Church (1850), 346 Marsden Road, Carlingford
Carlingford was a favourite spot for the Northwood Group of landscape painters. In the 1930s-1940s this social group would gather to paint outdoors and included Lloyd Rees, Roland Wakelin, John Santry, Marie Santry and George Lawrence. Wakelin completed a number of paintings inspired by the district. Three include: Carlingford Pastoral (1935) incorporates built heritage elements of the Mobbs Hill landscape - two water reservoirs, St Paul's Church and the church hall; Afternoon, Carlingford (1949) inspired by Carlingford hills, houses and farms; similarly, House at Carlingford (1950) was inspired by the locale's buildings and land.
The major Carlingford shopping and commercial areas are located on Pennant Hills Road. Two small- to medium-sized shopping centres, Carlingford Court and Carlingford Village, together with a shopping strip are 'at the top' of Mobbs Hill, and another shopping strip is 'at the bottom' of Mobbs Hill near Carlingford railway station. There is also a small strip of shops located on Mobbs Lane.
Carlingford Court (opened in 1965 as "Carlingford Village") on the corner of Pennant Hills and Carlingford Roads on top of Mobbs Hill is a medium-sized suburban shopping centre featuring supermarkets, department and variety stores, and specialty shops.
Carlingford Village (opened in the 1970s as "The Orchard" shopping centre) on the corner of Pennant Hills and Marsden Roads on top of Mobbs Hill includes many Asian food outlets.