The Queensland Gallery of Modern Art (also known as GOMA) is part of the Queensland Cultural Centre at the South Bank area of South Brisbane. It holds most of Queensland Art Gallery's contemporary works, while also being the joint host to the current Asia-Pacific Triennial of Contemporary Art. The fifth APT is also being shown in the Queensland Art Gallery building, with displays across both sites making the exhibition twice the scale of previous Triennials.
On 2 December 2006, the Queensland Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) opened. It is the Queensland Art Gallery's much-anticipated second building, and is the largest gallery of modern and contemporary art in Australia. Queensland's Gallery of Modern Art also houses Australia's first purpose built cinematheque. The gallery is situated on Kurilpa Point next to the Queensland Art Gallery and State Library of Queensland and faces the Brisbane River and the CBD, which is just across the river. The Gallery of Modern Art has a total floor area over 25,000 m² and the largest exhibition gallery is 1,100 m². The building was designed by Sydney architecture firm Architectus.
The gallery features art works from Australia, Asia, and countries within the Pacific region and includes the Australian Cinématheque.
- Andy Warhol 8 December 2007 – 13 April 2008
- Picasso and his collection 9 June - 14 September 2008
- Optimism 15 November 2008 – 22 February 2009
- The China Project 28 March – 28 June 2009
- Ron Mueck 8 May – 1 August 2010
- Valentino, Retrospective: Past/Present/Future 7 August - 14 November 2010
- 21st Century: Art in the First Decade was an exhibition, shown free of charge 18 December 2010 - 26 April 2011. Exhibits included "From here to ear", "The Swimming Pool", the "Mirror Mosaic", "The Swan Boat Rider", "The Infinity Room", "The Left and Right Slides", and many others.
- Surrealism: The Poetry of Dreams was a landmark exhibition of 180 surrealist works by 56 artists direct from the Musée National d'Art Moderne, Centre Pompidou, Paris, held 11 June - 2 October 2011.
- Matisse: Drawing Life is a major exhibition of 300 works on paper by Henri Matisse from the Bibliothèque nationale de France, to be held 3 December 2011 – 4 March 2012.
- Portrait of Spain: Masterpieces from the Prado is a major exhibition of painting from the Museo Nacional del Prado, Madrid, Spain, to be held 21 July – 4 November 2012.