Millstatt is a market town in Carinthia, Austria. Within the Central Eastern Alps it is situated on a peninsula on the northern shore of the Lake Millstatt, in the district of Spittal an der Drau.
The traditional health resort and spa town is known for its former Benedictine abbey, founded about 1070. The municipality of Millstatt also contains the Katastralgemeinden Obermillstatt, Matzelsdorf and Laubendorf.
Beneath the market stand the extensive buildings of the former Benedictine monastery with its four massive Renaissance towers situated between the former knightly palace of the order of St. George finished in 1499 and the monastery church at the highest point in the north.
The parish church St. Johann Baptist of Obermillstatt ("Upper Millstatt") was already mentioned in 1205, though the nowadays building has been erected under the Jesuit rule in 1614. Its Baroque furnishing includes a square groin vault apse and a high altar from around 1720. Situated on a slope above the village, the church can be widely seen by its massive tower with the big onion dome.
Up in Matzelsdorf is the small pilgrimage church Maria Schnee (Our Lady of the Snows), which was first mentioned in 1177. The small but richly decorated nave has a Late Gothic lierne vault from the 16th century and Baroque frescoes of the Madonna from about 1716. The retable of the altar with a carving work of the coronation of Mary probably originates from around 1500.