The Vorarlberg museum in Bregenz is the state art and cultural museum of the Austrian federal state of Vorarlberg. It was founded in 1857 and has since been a centre for collection and preservation of the state's art and cultural material. The Museum conducts research into this material and makes it available to the public. In terms of content, the Museum's work focuses on Vorarlberg material, and at the same time considers this in a context which goes beyond the state's boundaries. The collections, which the museum is attempting both to deepen and to broaden, specialise in archaeology, history, history of art and folklore. The museum co-operates with other national, international and regional cultural institutions.
The museum building opened in 1860 but was soon too small for the rapidly expanding collections. Despite financial contributions from local industry and from the town of Bregenz, it was not financially possible to commence building of a new purpose-built museum until 1902. The new state of the art museum opened in 1905. It was designed by Georg Baumeister and incorporated heating and fire and flood protection. Despite provision for growth of the collections, it was soon overflowing again. Despite complaints in the 1930s of shortage of space, it was not until the 1950s that the next reconstruction took place: a new storey was added and the decorative façade was removed. It was reopened in 1960 and represented the first investment in the building for half a century to address the increasing expectations of visitors.