Velika Kladuša is a city and municipality in the far northwest of Bosnia and Herzegovina, located near the border with Croatia. The closest city is Cazin, and a bit farther, the cities of Bihać and Bosanski Novi. Across the border, it is not far from Cetingrad. Administratively, it is part of the Una-Sana Canton of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The Velika Kladuša municipality also has many smaller towns and villages inside it such as Mala Kladuša, Todorovo, Podzvizd and many others. The town of Velika Kladuša is the center for the municipality because most hospitals, stores and government buildings are located there.
Velika Kladusa was first mentioned by name on October 30, 1280 (date on its shield) by the name Cladosa. During the Roman Empire it is assumed that the population of Velika Kladusa started to slowly grow. Towards the end of the 13th century up to 1464, Velika Kladusa was controlled by two different Croatian kings. Around 1464 the Ottoman Empire was expanding towards this region until Velika Kladusa was finally captured in 1633 by the Ottoman Empire. Velika Kladusa would later become the center of Ottoman expansion into neighboring Croatia as well as the rest of Europe. At the start of the occupation of Bosnia and Herzegovina by the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1878, Velika Kladusa along with others in the region, put up the biggest resistance in the region. Nevertheless, it developed with the opening of schools, the introduction of land register books, and a mosque and a catholic church were built.