The Manitoba Legislative Building is the meeting place of the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba, in central Winnipeg. It was originally named the Manitoba Parliament Building, not Legislative. The neoclassical building was completed in 1920 and stands seventy-seven metres tall (253 ft). It was designed and built by Frank Worthington Simon (1862–1933) and Henry Boddington III, along with other masons and many skilled craftsmen.
The building is famous for the Golden Boy, a gold covered bronze statue based on the style of the Roman god Mercury, or the Greek god Hermes, at the top of the cupola, or domed ceiling.The Manitoba Legislative Building is open every day of the year (including Saturdays and Sundays) for self-guided tours, and guided tours are available.
Coming up to the north side of the Legislative Building, above the 6 main columns, is the main pediment.In the bottom-left corner of the pediment is the Indolent Man, with a half-kneeling woman, the spirit of progress, beckoning the Indolent Man into the new land of promise. Next is the goddess Europa
leading a bull, symbolizing Canada's European heritage and immigration.To the right of Europa, a man, woman and child symbolizing the colonization of a new land. Seated in the centre is Lady Manitoba with the rays of the sun behind her.She closely resembles the fertility goddesses Ishtar and Demeter, both patron deities of agriculture, with Neptune's trident symbolizing the Pacific Ocean, and to the left and to the right are ships wheels symbolizing the Atlantic Ocean.
* This building was opened in 1919 unfinished and seven million dollars over budget. Even today, elevator shafts remain empty. The hallway to the right of the grand staircase is an area known for its paranormal activity.