St. Norbert is a bilingual neighbourhood in the southernmost part of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. While outside the Perimeter Highway, (the beltway that surrounds most of Winnipeg), it is still part of the city.The community is home to the St. Norbert Farmers' Market, drawing large crowds from Winnipeg and the surrounding area. Other attractions include the St. Norbert Provincial Heritage Park, and the St. Norbert Arts and Cultural Centre. St. Norbert is the closest community to the Red River Floodway gates.
St. Norbert is also the name of a much bigger city ward in Winnipeg, which includes much of the Fort Garry South neighbourhood cluster and a small part of St. Vital. It is represented by a member of Winnipeg City Council.
Visible from Pembina highway, one of the most recognizable landmarks in St. Norbert is a large three-story building marked by a huge centre dome.Begun in the 1870s, the first building on the site was the home of politician and businessman Monsieur Joseph Lemay.
Another architectural landmark in St. Norbert is the former Trappist monastery, now an arts and cultural centre.
Paroisse Catholique Saint-Norbert -
The first church was built on the current site in 1857, and was made of logs. The newer building that replaced it in 1883 burned down in 1929. The beautiful building has twin towers, and houses the body of Father Joseph Noël Ritchot, St. Norbert’s parish priest.