Liwan District is one of the ten districts of Guangzhou, People's Republic of China. Formerly named Xiguan, Liwan District was named after "Lizhiwan", which is derived from poem of "a bay of green water and red litchis along both banks". It covers an area of 16.2 square kilometres (6.3 sq mi) and has a permanent population of about 540,000 and a permanent nonnative population of over 200,000. Liwan District is positioned in the flourishing west part of Guangzhou, on the northeast bank of the Pearl River.
Fangcun, in the western part of Liwan District, lied at the southwest of Guangzhou's downtown area and south of Pearl River. It was established as a "Fangcun District" in 1949 after the Chinese Communist Party took over Guangzhou from the Kuomintang. In 2005, it was withdrawn and merged with Liwan.
Liwan district has a well-developed transport network which enables it to reap benefits as an important place for business. There is a developed traffic network connecting with the railway station and Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport in the north. Renmin Bridge and Zhujiang Tunnel link the banks of the Pearl River in the southern part of Liwan. Zhujiang Bridge, which connects Nanhai and Foshan, links the east and west together in Liwan's west.
Guangzhou South Railway Cargo Station of Jingguang Railway and Xinfeng Terminal are in Liwan's southwest. No. 107 State Highway and Guang-Fo Highway connecting with Guang-Shen Highway are through to Hong Kong. Line 1 of Guangzhou Metro and Inner overhead road pass through the District.