The Shanghai Municipal History Museum is a museum dedicated to the history of the city of Shanghai located in Pudong. The museum's exhibition focuses on the approximately 100 years in the history of Shanghai from the opening of the port in 1843 to the communist take-over in 1949.
The Shanghai Municipal History Museum was established in 1983 as the "Shanghai History & Cultural Relics Showroom". It first opened to the public on May 27th, 1984 on the premises of the Shanghai Agriculture Exhibition. The museum was moved to a new location and renamed into "Shanghai History Museum" in 1991. In May 2001, the exhibition was moved again, this time into the basement of the Oriental Pearl Tower in Pudong.
The collection of the Shanghai Municipal History Museum contains more than 30,000 items. Of these, about 18,000 items pertain to the modern history of the city, a portion of these items found its way into the museum from the governors of the Foreign Concessions. Notable items in the collection include: Gu Embroidery of flowers, insects, and fish by the Ming-Dynasty "needle saint" Han Ximeng; a scroll by Hou Tongceng; the Golden Classics collected by the Qi Bao Temple; a bronze cannon attributed to General Zhen Yuan that once belonged to Chen Huacheng (1776–1842), a Qing Dynasty general responsible for Shanghai's defenses during the First Opium War; the big Hua Qian of the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom; a pair of bronze lions from the entrance of the former HSBC Building; foundation stones from the French Concession and the Shanghai International Settlement (1893).