Church of Saint Michael the Archangel is a church situated in Prague, Czech Republic. It was built in Romanesque and Gothic style and later rebuilt in Baroque style. The priest and church reformer Jan Hus celebrated masses in the church. The church and adjacent monastery were disestablished during the reforms of the Emperor Joseph II in the 18th century. Later, the buildings served as a warehouse. In the crypt, there are buried rectors of the Prague's University.
Church of St. Michael (kostel sv. Michala) in Opatovice - V JiracháříchThe Church of St Michael (kostel sv. Michala) originally a Romanesque structure, is older than the New Town (Nové Město) itself, which started to evolve in the place of the fields and meadows, settlements and villages in 1348.
It was evidently founded at the same time as the Settlement of Opatovice and a rectory stood here under the reign John of Luxemburg. It belonged to the Hussites during the Hussite Wars (1419), became the property of the Lutherans a hundred years later (1524), and then the Catholics after the Battleof White Mountain (1621). It was then bought by the German Lutheran Church in 1790 after being abandoned.
The German choir had a picture of Martin Luther created for the side window of the church in 1915. After the Second World War, the confiscated church was passed to the Prague choir of the Slovak Evangelic Church. The Gothic structure of the church dates hack to the last 25 years of the 14th century.