Blackheath railway station is situated in the heart of Blackheath village in London at grid reference TQ39617600. The track passes through The Village and is crossed by a road overbridge on which the station buildings stand.
Much of the original station, dating back at track level to 1849 and at ticket office level to 1879, remains. It was built using London Brick to a design by George Smith (who also built Greenwich station). At the "country" end of the platforms the lines separate to the North Kent and Bexleyheath Lines. The former passes through the mile-long (1.6 km) Blackheath Tunnel immediately after the junction; the latter through the shorter Kidbrooke Tunnel after a short cutting.
Blackheath's station has two platforms which are partially covered with a weather canopy. The downside platform has a disused platform face (bay platform) facing towards London, used in earlier days by commuter trains terminating here. Unusually, the track in the bay remains in situ, although it is now heavily overgrown and otherwise obstructed. The area to the north (now a car-park) was formerly an area of railway sidings, where commuter trains were stabled when not in use.
The bay platform used to come into its own when a circus was taking place on Blackheath. Many of the animals would arrive in train vans. The circus would then process through Blackheath Village on to the heath. There is a local legend that on one occasion an elephant took exception to a passing bus - and the bus lost!