Lewisham station is a National Rail and Docklands Light Railway station in Lewisham, south east London. It is on the south-east London commuter rail network operated by Southeastern. The Docklands Light Railway station opened in 1999 on a southward extension from Island Gardens on the Isle of Dogs. British Transport Police maintains a neighbourhood policing presence at Lewisham.
There are four platforms for main-line trains: 1 and 2 on the North Kent Line, and 3 and 4 on a loop off the South Eastern Main Line (which are also known as the mid-Kent route) . The former opened on 30 July 1849, the latter on 1 January 1857.
In 1929 large-scale remodelling of the junction was undertaken to enable cross-London freight traffic to be routed via Nunhead and Loughborough Junction. The new route utilised part of the former Greenwich Park branch and included a flyover. Some trains heading to/from London use the flyover and then descend via Tanners Hill Junction to rejoin the main line, using a reversible line which opened in 1976. This junction is being further developed in 2012.
Kent trains from London, having passed through the station, curve round under the main line to Hither Green en route to Ladywell. Platforms 5 and 6 are served by Docklands Light Railway trains to Bank and Stratford. From December 2009, Lewisham was fitted with electric ticket gates, in line with the Government's new strategy to give all Greater London National Rail stations Oyster card accessibility and closing access to those who attempt to travel without tickets.