Valga (German: Walk) is a town in southern Estonia and the capital of Valga County. Until their separation in 1920, Valga and the town of Valka in northern Latvia were one town. They are now twin-towns. The area of Valga is 16.5 km² and that of Valka is 14.2 km². Their populations are respectively 14,153 and 6,164. As of 1 January 2009 all border-crossing points were removed and roads and fences opened between the two countries with both countries joining the Schengen Agreement. Valga is situated at the junction of roads and railways. The TallinnTartuRiga railway is connected via Tapa with the TallinnNarvaSt Petersburg main line. Valga is an international railway junction. In April 2008 three daily trains from Riga which previously terminated at Lugai were extended across the border to Valga. During the Cold War, Valga was home to Valga air base. With the expansion of the Schengen Agreement and the abolition of systematic border controls between Estonia and Latvia, it was announced that common public bus transport would be launched between Valga and Valka. The distance to Tartu is 89 km, Pärnu 144 km, Tallinn 245 km, Riga 175 km and Pskov 170 km. Since 1944, a local newspaper, "Valgamaalane", has been published (3 times a week). Since 2003, there has also been a local newspaper "Walk" (in the Russian language). There also is a local correspondence office of Estonian Television (Eesti Televisioon) and a local radio "Raadio Ruut".